Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple does server

From: Benjamin Higginbotham (draco_at_silverdragonden.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 23:29:17 EDT

> with only 2 CPUs in the Xserver, you're once again limited. Clustering
> would get past the problem in a way, but then, I didn't see that
> advertized anywhere on the Apple site either.

All demoed here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/xserve/ They
actually show a cluster in use. It's when Phil Shiller gets on stage.

> Well ... you can always run YellowDog Linux on the machine, but on the
> other hand, I can just as well run Linux on an Intel based box for
> half - oh, a third - of the price. For our company, the discussion is
> pretty academic, since our database provider sees no need to port their
> product to a new platform.

All depends on your application. If Linux works for you, use Linux. If
Windows works, use Windows. If X server works... Well, you get the
idea. There is no right solution, they are all right and all wrong.

> Although, as Bill notes, Oracle is ported, that's just the back-end. To
> make this work well, you have to have the client side of things, too.
> What development/deployment tools are there for MacOS X (client)? Java?
> C++? Get real, you don't write commercial apps in those. In the Windows
> world, you have a few tools like PowerBuilder or even (and I never
> believed, I say that) - Visual Basic. What you have on the Mac?

How about Apple's Developer Tools? The one BIG factor that OS X has for
it, brought over from the NeXT days, is phenomenal object oriented
programming (you can currently code in Objective C, and with Jaguar you
can code with C++). A lot of developers **love** the development tools
for OS X, many saying that they are the best in the industry. Add
WebObjects to that (on a wee bit different subject) and you have some
of the worlds best tools at your fingertips for web based and
application solutions. These tools are FAR more mature than any Linux
tools; they have been working on the Dev Tools (NeXT has) since the
80's. They have had a lot of time to get it right. Remember, the first
web browser and e-mail were invented on a NeXT box, now a part of Apple.

> RealBasic? Hmmm without documentation, not much ...

Agreed.

> Don't get me wrong, I am all for Mac - this email comes out of
> Mail.app - OS X. I'm just a little disappointed in Apple.

Disagree. This is a *great* first step. Watch the video, their plan
will come in to focus. You can't expect Apple to make a server that
will suit everyones needs all at once. This serves (no pun intended)
their target market. Next they can move to larger scale stuff. Baby
steps.

Just my $0.02

Benjamin Higginbotham
webmaster_at_alphavideo.com