Re: [NTLK] Newtons in Medcine

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 20:36:12 EDT

Hi,

   Were there any pilot plans afoot when the Newton was alive for using
it for patient data entry, instead of the ubiquitous sheet you fill out
every time you see the doctor? This is one of the most obvious things I
had imagined that the Newton would have been really good at: instead of
the paper, the patient just gets a NewtonSlate type device to fill out,
which would automatically upload stuff into a database (anybody else see
this as a gimme for integration with WebObjects NOW?)

   A couple of caveats I see for the state of Newton tech at the time (5+
years ago): The screen would have to be bigger, probably a half-page at
least, and I think it would have to be 100 dpi or greater to be
reasonable for ink text for someone who had never used it (I find it
hard sometimes to write even on the 2100 becasue the resolution is lower
than paper [duh!], especially with ink-text which shrinks your text and
I think throws out some of the fine points of the stoke in the stroke
compression). Contrast would have to be a bit higher than the 2100 -
130 certainly and LCD that didn't have the temperature-contrast problems
that the 2100 does. The processor would have to be at least 2100 speed
(or have a seperate one that was dedicated to recognition).

Jim