Re: [NTLK] Newtons in Medcine

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 23:58:59 EDT

on 17/05/02 20:36, Jim Witte at jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us wrote:

> Were there any pilot plans afoot when the Newton was alive for using
> it for patient data entry, instead of the ubiquitous sheet you fill out
> every time you see the doctor? This is one of the most obvious things I
> had imagined that the Newton would have been really good at: instead of
> the paper, the patient just gets a NewtonSlate type device to fill out,
> which would automatically upload stuff into a database (anybody else see
> this as a gimme for integration with WebObjects NOW?)
>
> A couple of caveats I see for the state of Newton tech at the time (5+
> years ago): The screen would have to be bigger, probably a half-page at
> least, and I think it would have to be 100 dpi or greater to be
> reasonable for ink text for someone who had never used it (I find it
> hard sometimes to write even on the 2100 becasue the resolution is lower
> than paper [duh!], especially with ink-text which shrinks your text and
> I think throws out some of the fine points of the stoke in the stroke
> compression). Contrast would have to be a bit higher than the 2100 -
> 130 certainly and LCD that didn't have the temperature-contrast problems
> that the 2100 does. The processor would have to be at least 2100 speed
> (or have a seperate one that was dedicated to recognition).

I remember at the time reading about a few medicine-oriented vertical
products. Nothing I can remember specifically, but maybe others with a
better memory will chime in...

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power. Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO, Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2. [IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.