Re: [NTLK] Anyone know about VPN?

From: Lallang_at_aol.com
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 17:48:18 EDT

In a message dated 05/22/2002 16:02:02, ptraugot_at_3do.com writes:

>I'd like to know if I can dial into my company's VPN server with a Newton.

Well, if your Newton is directly connected to a network behind a VPN enabled
box, then maybe yes. Otherwise, no. For example, if you have a LAN
connected to a VPN box that connects across the Internet to another VPN box
and LAN behind that, then possibly yes (because the VPN is "built-up" between
the two VPN boxes which do the encryption and decription of the packets and
the Newton would just see the unencrypted data). But if you are trying to
connect your Newton via a phone line to an ISP that then connects to a VPN
server or directly to a VPN server without any other hardware in between
besides a modem, then no, not unless your modem also has VPN firmware. I
don't think there is VPN software available for the Newton (and even if it
was, would the StrongARM be fast enough to encrypt and decrypt those packets
on the fly?)