Re: [NTLK] Wavelan Beta Works!

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 19:51:53 EDT

Hmmm, I'm trying, but I don't get anywhere.

I have a NetGear MR314 - wireless Cable/DSL router. It's set up
correctly, because I can connect to it with my and my wife's PowerBook
just fine.
I have changed the set up, to use channel 11 and changed the network
name to NEWTON.

On the Newton, I have the a3 driver as well as the b1 driver installed.
I also set up a new setup for NIE to use the Orinoco, I copied that from
another setup which uses a 3Com 3C589D (which also works just fine).

This didn't work ...

Then I froze the a3 driver - now the little LEDs on the Orinoco don't
flash any more like with the a3 driver. So I unfroze a3 and froze b1 -
the LEDs behave like before (the top on is on permanently, the bottom
one flashes very fast, 10+ times/sec) but still no connection.

I have the identical card to yours, I borrowed it from work over the
long weekend. If I get it to work, I'm going to buy one - but no luck so
far.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Chris

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 04:04 , richard_at_cyberphotographer.com wrote:

> OK - have tested and found that MY CARD, namely the Lucent Orinoco
> Silver P/N 012938/E ONLY works if you have both alpha and beta
> installed and set as channel 11 to network "Newton". You may be right
> that the card is using the alpha, but I can't get it to work with
> only the alpha installed. It looks like what is happening is that the
> beta is providing the setup and the alpha is doing the work. Since
> people have been struggling to find the older Lucent WaveLAN cards,
> it should be of interest to some that you can go ahead and buy the
> current Orinoco Silver card and use it this way.
>
> In other words my post should have been "Orinoco Silver Works! with
> the help of the beta". Perhaps my excitement at finally getting this
> working got the better of me.
>
> --

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup_at_earthlink.net