Re: [NTLK] MP2100 Virus Software

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 10:23:14 EDT

on 5/29/02 10:01 AM, Daniel Padilla at daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es wrote:

>>> of our equipment (including the MPs)
>> .
>> !! I had to check the date wasn't april 1st when i read this. is
>> there or has there ever been a virus on Newton?
>>

> It's very, very easy to destroy *ALL* your newton data. Another question is
> why nobody has ever done such a "bad" program. Looks like we newton users are
> quite good ppl. O:-)
>
> Daniel Padilla

Try this... There's only a few thousand Newton users, many of which are not
and never have/will be connected to the 'net. So the potential targets
number in only the few hundreds. Further, of the few thousand extant Newton
users, only a tiny fraction are at all capable of PROGRAMMING on the Newt
and of those, only a minor fraction are so highly skilled that they're
capable of writing a Newt virus. Most of this remaining handful of Newt
programmers are the original Newt team, and the rest are on this list. (At
least to a rough approximation.)

Given the above, the likelihood of a new Newt virus is nearly zero. And
since there (apparently) never were any, the only prudent anti-viral
procedure would be reasonably frequent, multi-layer backups.

- Eric.