Re: [NTLK] Programming: tracking pen input

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 10:22:53 EDT

Brian Parker (bunnyboy42_at_mac.com) wrote:

> The problem is when a pen message is sent, it blocks everything else until
> the pen message is done. If someone holds down the pen, nothing else
> happens. Look at a program like Kung Fu, where you have to repeatedly tap
> the movement buttons instead of holding the pen down on one side of the
> player. If the program could poll for input (and receive coordinates or
> something else for pen not on screen) then you could just hold the pen on
> the screen instead of constant tapping.

I've just checked how I did this with a scrollbar for my Computus app --
you can press the up or down arrows and the list will scroll up or down
as long as the button is pressed, no constant tabbing necessary. I just
used the button's buttonPressedScript for this. Mapper, to take another
example, uses clViews, the viewClickedScript, and a "repeat ... until
StrokeDone(unit)" loop for its four-way scroller, which works just as
well. Why the developer of KungFu didn't support this, I don't know -- it
may have been on purpose.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de