Re: [NTLK] [OT] Airport Security craziness

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 13:48:06 EDT

You can take the Newt with you. If you want to be
safe, just stick it in your checked bagage with the
battery pack removed.
When I flew to Hawaii, I had to take my shoes off 4
times, I was delayed on getting on my flight twice (as
a result, on both of the overnight flights, I didn't
get a pillow or blanket...someone on the plane stole
them and the plane doesn't carry extras)
They wiped my stuff including my shoes and socks with
a cloth to check for bomb making residue, then emptied
out my "man-bag" which I carry my Newt in. As a
result, I am missing the matching mechanical pencil to
a pen/pencil set I have. (or had) and because I
carried on snacks on my onboard bags, it was very full
and had to be hand checked every time!
My advice to anyone flying is to minimize your carryon
to just your necessities! (which sucks because you no
longer get real food on airplanes any longer! and some
airports like Miami limit you to a single checked bag
under 75 pounds!)
It's no wonder that more people this year travelled on
Memorial day, but fewer flew on airplanes! I know that
it will be a long time before I fly again!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Apostolos Koutropoulos <admiralak_at_yahoo.com>
wrote:

> >> LONG STORY BY ED SNIPPED <<
>
> wow!!!! I went to greece last year with my newt 120
> in my
> backpack, put it through the X-ray thing (it was
> still in
> my bag, picked up my bacg and went in the plane :p
> --- if I
> have any PDA, will they ask me to turn it on? PDAs
> are
> instant on so it doesnt matter :p
>
> I will be leaving my newton at home and taking my
> iPaq with
> me, if my newton had IrComm stacks I would take it
> with me
> to check mails :p
>
> I hope they dont ask me to take my shoes off...they
> will
> smell some bad funk lol :p

=====
Roll that beautiful bean footage!