Re: [NTLK] OT- re- QTake200

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 13:37:46 EDT

I've got a camera that is also a "AA" battery killer,
but if you understand how the camera works, you'll
realize that the batteries aren't really dead!
The older cameras use TTL circuitry. This requires a
minimum of 5volts. 4-"AA" batteries gives 6volts. Once
the combined power of the batteries drops below 5
volts, then the camera will no longer work...but, it
doesn't take a math genius to figure that with 4-"AA"
batteries at 1.5volts per battery. To drop from 6volts
to 5volts means that each battery looses .25volts
(that's a quarter of a volt) That means that the
battery still has 80% of it's capacity! This is plenty
for any other device that uses "AA" batteries. Things
like the Newt will run for weeks on old camera
batteries! My SLR flash unit gives me almost a hundred
flashes....my pager runs for 3 weeks on one of these
old camera batteries!
So, don't throw those old camera batteries away! Just
because your camera can't use it, doesn't mean that
it's dead to everything else!
.Ed
web/gadget guru.
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
<snip>
> natural light close-up photos. It's a real battery
> killer and goes through
> lots of AA's. Be sure to get an AC adapter for the
> camera.

=====
Roll that beautiful bean footage!
- Jay Bush (Bush's Baked Beans)