Re: [NTLK] OT Should I migrate to OSX.2

From: William B Davis Jr (billd_at_ecity.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 01:28:59 EST

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 08:01 AM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

> My PB G3 250MHz WallStreet with OS 9.1 is about 2-3 times faster than any
> G3
> running Jaguar and about the same speed as a G4 Cube. At our recent Newton
> meeting one of us was using Jaguar on a WallStreet and it was very slow
> with
> 192MB of RAM - I would consider it unacceptable for serious work.

Sorry, but I'm using a PB G3 250Mhz WallStreet (256MB memory) and 10.1.5
and most things are just about as fast as 9.x (well, not window resizing,
but that COULD be if they didn't redraw the dang thing real-time like OS 9
_didn't_).

More RAM can make a big speed difference with OS X. It being Unix there's
a lot more stuff going on behind the scenes. But right now I'm
downloading an audio-book from Audible over my WaveLAN card via my cable
modem with Internet Explorer, listening to the Dixie Chicks in iTunes, and
writing this message. Hardly "unacceptable for serious work."

> I know a network of 400MHz iMacs running Jaguar and it's like computing
> under water compared to OS 8/9 - menus draw slowly and all operations are
> very disk intensive.

The "disk intensive" is probably a BIG ol' indicator that those machines
need more RAM if you want to run OS X. My menus pop right up.

> To return to the responsiveness of 8/9 you need a G4 with 1GHz cpu and 1GB
> of RAM, then performance is (mostly) great.

Nope. Sorry. My own experience is otherwise.

  - Bill

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html