Re: [NTLK] OT OSX Dock; was Should I migrate to OSX.2

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 10:58:22 EST

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] OT Should I migrate to OSX.2
> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net>

>> When you talk about the morphing, do you mean the magnification when

> Yes. I'd heard it can be turned off, but I just find it disturbing that
> anyone in their right mind ever in a million years would consider this a
> valid and useful UI "innovation". If it were *just* magnification (i.e.,
> like sweeping a magnifying lens across the screen) that would be one thing.
> But the having the (for lack of a better term) center-of-mass of each icon
> shift, as well as those nearby shuffling around, THAT is what's so visually
> jarring.

Ummmm, it IS *just* magnification (i.e., like sweeping a magnifying lens
across the screen). There's no shuffling, it's very smooth, even, gradual
and looks EXACTLY like a large magnifying lens. As with any magnifying lens,
the center is larger than the area around the center, and the area around
the center is larger than the edges of the virtual magnifying lens. Really.

To describe it this way - the icon directly under the cursor is, for
example, 300% the size of the default dock icons, the icons to either side
are about 250%, the icons to either side of this are about 200%. Kinda like
this
....o+O+o.....

But it's s-m-o-o-o-t-h scaling.

Note to others it does not affect windows or icons nearby, just the dock's
icons. I consider this to be one of the best UI features from OSX.

Don't forget - the dock is based on our venerable Newt's ButtonBar, but to
accommodate dozens and dozens of icons - of any type (app folder document)
the magnification option allows you to easily pick something visually. Note
it helps to group icons in certain areas of the dock

You can use DockFun to set up custom docks with different apps and
documents, depending on your work at the time.

Plus, isn't it just the cutest thing when an app's dock icon jumps up and
down to get your attention?!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html