[NTLK] Newbie with a 2100 questions

From: Brian Braunschweiger (brianbraun_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 14:40:05 EST

I have a new-to-me 2100. I have been trying to take sips from the
fire hose that is this list, have checked out the relevant portions
of the FAQ and have downloaded but not really looked at the PDF user
manual. Some of my questions relate to my 2100 not coming fully
equipped.

I have
- 2100
- cover
- 2 battery cages in which I place 4 AA batteries
- a Xircom PCMCIA 56K modem
- an Orinoco Silver card
- a PCMCIA Compact Flash card adapter

What I don't have yet:
- power adapter
- serial dongle

Here are some questions covering a variety of areas:

(1) HAND WRITING RECOGNITION
I have been using a Palm IIIxe for about 2 years now and am fairly
proficient in Grafitti. I am not impressed with the Newton's
recognition thus far but recognize the problem may be mine. I have
set it to recognize my hand writing and did a quick run through the
settings where I can tell it which shapes I often make, which seldom
and which never. What should I be doing to help the process along?
Does the word practice train the Newton or just me?

(2) APPLICATIONS
I can't yet install any packages due to the not having a dongle. (See
my other post). Again, having used a Palm that synchs with Now
contact and Up to Date and has some other apps on it, I am not very
impressed with the default apps on the Newton. Again, I realize I may
need to install stuff. In the mean time, what can I actually do with
my Newton. Note taking is the only thing I can think of and I am not
sure how much I have a need for that.

(3) CHANGING BATTERY CAGES
Will I lose everything not in ROM if I swap out battery cages? If
not, is there a time limit like the Palm?

(4) SCREEN CONDITION
The screen seems to be good quality and the backlight works fine. The
only downside is that there seems to be some slight "etching" on the
screen where it was wrote on often. If oriented vertically, it is
about 1/3 of the way down from the top. Any idea why that area would
have been written on more often?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

--
The glass isn't half full or half empty. It's twice as big as it needs to be.