[NTLK] Obstacles to installation (similar to "bootstrapping" thread)

From: Brian Braunschweiger (brianbraun_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 14:25:09 EST

I have a new-to-me 2100 but no power adapter and no serial dongle. I
didn't have a battery cage but now do and am using 4 standard
alkaline AA batteries. I want to start installing stuff so I can use
my 2100. The highest priority is to install what I need to start
surfing the internet and downloading that way direct to my 2100 using
an Orinoco silver card.

Here is what I have tried:

(1) Using a Xircom 56K PCMCIA modem. The good news is that it seems
to recognize it and it was on a list somewhere as being supported.
The bad news is that the power draw is apparently too much for just
running off of batteries.

(2) Using a PCMCIA adapter with a Compact Flash card I had. My 8 meg
card is temporarily unavailable so I tried using a 64 meg card but
got an error message when using it in the adapter in the PCMCIA slot.
It might have been that the 64 meg Compact Flash card was too large
in capacity but I think from some of my reading that I need some kind
of driver (ATA?) to be able to have the Compact flash card recognized.

(3) I have an Orinoco Silver card which apparently 2100s are quite
happy with but I don't have any software installed with which to use
it.

(4) I did some more reading and discovered the 2100 does IrDA and I
have a PB 3400 that also does IrDA. No luck connecting, although
after fiddling with the settings the PB would see the Newton for a
few seconds. Did some more reading. Installed NCU 2.0 on the 3400 but
I still couldn't establish a link.

So, I would really rather not shell out any more $$$ on this Newton
until after the first of the year. Here are my questions:

(A) Do I have what I need to at least install what I need to start
using my Orinoco card and I am just missing something in the above
attempts?

(B) If I am truly in a catch-22, then the only option I can think of
is to track down a dongle, upload what I need and go from there. Or
would it be easier to track borrow a power adapter and try to
establish a connection using a modem to modem setup with my Mac? Or
is beaming from someone else's Newton easier? Of course it will
basically come down to what I can come up with locally by begging or
borrowing.

(C) What should I make sure to install at a minimum so as to use my
Orinoco card for further downloading? (I don't have a wireless
connection here but know someone who does.)

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Brian

--
The glass isn't half full or half empty. It's twice as big as it needs to be.