Re: [NTLK] Obstacles to installation (similar to "bootstrapping" thread)

From: Scott Roy Atwood (atwood_at_cs.stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 16:25:30 EST

* Brian Braunschweiger <brianbraun_at_earthlink.net> [021101 19:45]:
> (2) Using a PCMCIA adapter with a Compact Flash card I had. My 8 meg
> card is temporarily unavailable so I tried using a 64 meg card but
> got an error message when using it in the adapter in the PCMCIA slot.
> It might have been that the 64 meg Compact Flash card was too large
> in capacity but I think from some of my reading that I need some kind
> of driver (ATA?) to be able to have the Compact flash card recognized.

You'll need Paul Guyot's ATA driver on your internal store before you
can use Compact Flash cards.

> (4) I did some more reading and discovered the 2100 does IrDA and I
> have a PB 3400 that also does IrDA. No luck connecting, although
> after fiddling with the settings the PB would see the Newton for a
> few seconds. Did some more reading. Installed NCU 2.0 on the 3400 but
> I still couldn't establish a link.

The *Newton* supports IrDA, but Apple's desktop software does not. You
should be able to install Newton packages over IrDA using the Newton DIL
Tester <http://www.tempel.org/newton/>.

As for NCU 2.0, are you sure that isn't NCK 2.0? NCK 2.0 only supports
Newton 1.x devices. You need NCU instead for Newton 2.x devices like
Newton 2x00. The last version of this software is 1.0.

> (B) If I am truly in a catch-22, then the only option I can think of
> is to track down a dongle, upload what I need and go from there. Or
> would it be easier to track borrow a power adapter and try to
> establish a connection using a modem to modem setup with my Mac? Or
> is beaming from someone else's Newton easier? Of course it will
> basically come down to what I can come up with locally by begging or
> borrowing.

Your options are: buy or borrow a dongle or dongle-less cable (has the
funky Interconnect port connector built-in), get the packages you need
on a PCMCIA card from another Newton user, install the packages over
IrDA with Newton DIL Tester, or install via a modem connection (not sure
what software you'd need on the desktop side).

Has anyone written a comprehensive FAQ or HOWTO for "bootstrapping" a
brainwiped Newton to Ethernet or WiFi capability, using the methods I
mentioned above, or any others that are possible?

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood
atwood_at_cs.stanford.edu