[NTLK] Corrupt Object (-48005 error) - how to fix? [was: Re: [NTLK] Newton- as sole repository.]

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 02:44:23 EST

on 2002/11/01 4:00 PM, Woo Lee at vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Try a soup utility and look in the In/Out soup. I've found a few emails =
> 'hidden' in the soup that didn't showup in the open app. HTH.

Thanks, Woo. Weird ... this thread is converging with the other thread I'm
in, about importing into Newton Works, because I've just experienced my
second-ever data loss.

I've never used any soup utilities, and frankly I don't have a clue what a
soup looks like and so I'm afraid of poking things I don't understand and
thereby messing something up royally. But now I have a little problem:

Today, after importing several large RTF files (in the 200-550K range) into
Newton Works on a 4MB card, after one such import I started getting a -48005
error, which I looked up and it means something like "corrupted object,
can't recover". Works will no longer launch unless I remove the 4MB card
with all the big documents on it. So I assume that the last RTF file I
imported got corrupted somehow.

Is there anything I can do to fix this without losing everything on the
card? If I use a soup editor, how do I recognize a corrupt object and how
do I fix it? Or is there a utility that somewhat automates this?

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html