Re: [NTLK] Corrupt Object (-48005 error) - how to fix?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 00:06:45 EST

on 2002/11/02 2:44 AM, Michael Blazer at m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca wrote:

> Today, after importing several large RTF files (in the 200-550K range) into
> Newton Works on a 4MB card, after one such import I started getting a -48005
> error, which I looked up and it means something like "corrupted object, can't
> recover". Works will no longer launch unless I remove the 4MB card with all
> the big documents on it. So I assume that the last RTF file I imported got
> corrupted somehow.

My efforts to load big RTFs into Newton Works are still stuck. Since
posting the above, I tried to fix the corrupt NW soup with SBM utilities.
No dice. I then erased the card and started all over.

I've tried it with different flash cards, I've tried it with both the Mac
and Windows versions of NCU, and I've even tried it on two different
Newtons. The only RTF file I have imported successfully is about 80K (i.e.
the smallest one I've tried). Importing anything bigger results in a -48005
error and consequent freeze of Newton Works until I remove the card. The
import process itself seems to proceed normally, but then the error occurs
as soon as I tap the overview button in Works to try to display the new file
I just imported.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? Does Works have a maximum file size?
Has anyone done this successfully? Should I give up and use Newton Press
instead?

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html