Re: [NTLK] Why did the Newton fail?

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 00:39:38 EST

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, mouse1701 wrote:

> Strange..when i got the newton i was blown away by the quality of the
> hwr....it runs rings around the palm graffiti any day..i love the newton
> hwr..i cannot imagine anyone would have a problem with it?

I think we're seeing a resurgance in the Newton (sort of) because so many
people took it as an act of faith that the criticisms of natural HWR were
accurate. I don't know anyone that's really "comfortable" with Graffiti,
just used to it. For that matter, I know more people that use pop up
digital keyboards than built-in or physical add-ons as well as Graffiti.

Of course after the market became flooded with the more trendy input junk,
it would make sense that someone coming across the Newton's handwriting
capabilities would be blown away, even if it doesn't work well for them.
It's more natural. Sort of like drawing on a touch-sensitive LCD screen
versus a tablet and monitor combo--you feel less distanced from the UI.

Now who the hell keeps making noise and slamming doors outside my
apartment?!

*assist* {call police}

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html