Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #745

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 03:40:22 EST

À (At) 0:12 +0100 2/11/02, d0pp13r écrivait (wrote) :
>wouldnt that be the DIL tester pages?
>
>personally i think its time for someone (read paul guyot) to remove stuff
>from the ROM and add the necessary drivers in the next ROM update...

There is a misunderstanding here.
System patches aren't ROM updates. They are *patches*. You don't remove stuff.

If you want to add drivers to these system patches, you need (a) the
drivers to be stored in the internal memory and (b) the drivers to
the stored in the DRAM. System patches uses DRAM. This is why
Stephanie has more DRAM in the Extras Drawer without the system patch
than we do.
I can't see the interest compared to just having them on the internal
store (except that you won't erase them).

Additionally, the 8 MB of Apple's 2.1 ROM aren't entirely filled up,
even with the eMate that has more packages than the MP2K. But to do a
real ROM Update, we need a custom ROM Board.

Now, I'm really concerned about bootstrapping. This mostly applies to
Mac users because most PCs have serial ports.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/