Re: [NTLK] SLIP at home

From: Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 12:53:19 EST

Donald,

If you've got a unix box, you could probably write a wrapper that as soon
as it sees ATDT or AT DT, it waits 1 second, then echoes back CONNECT
56000 and runs PPP. Forget slip. :)

All you need is something that pretends to be a modem. Should be fairly
straight forward to write a shell script or C program to do this and hang
out on a serial port of a unix box.

i.e.

#!/usr/local/bin/bash

PPP="/usr/local/bin/blahppp options"

while /bin/true
do
 read X
 if [ "$X" == "ATDT" ]; then $PPP; fi
 if [ "$X" == "AT DT" ]; then $PPP; fi
done

Where you set your PPP server to run from stdin/out (or tell it the
tty) You might need to put a phone number to dial on the newton, if so
edit the string that says read X

And run the whole wrapper like this: pppwrapper.sh </dev/ttyX >/dev/ttyX &

You might even be able to do this from the Newt side if you can tell the
newt to run a script... then you just set mgetty to put up a login on your
serial port and your newt will login, and run PPP for you, etc...

 + ^ + :NSA got $20Bil/year |Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/ :and didn't stop 9-11|share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:Instead of rewarding|monitor, or under your keyboard, you \/|\/
  /|\ :their failures, we |don't email them, or put them on a web \|/
 + v + :should get refunds! |site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_@_sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html