Re: [NTLK] SLIP at home

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 12:42:06 EST

On 05/11/02 12:25, "Donald Wilson" <wdi101_at_stu.wccnet.org> wrote:

> I'm all sorts of question-filled today.
>
> I'd like to use my 130 around my house, for email and similar things.
>
> I don't have an ethernet card for it, but I had this idea:
>
> I can easily run a couple more cat5 wires, or rewire some extra ports in some
> rooms, and connect it to the *Nix server in the basement via SLIP, but I can't
> find a Null-Modem driver in
> NIE.
>
> Has there been one written, so I can run SLIP over a null-modem cable?

Never heard of any.

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.