Re: [NTLK] OT : Apple Airport

From: Simon Roberts (srob_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 14:40:52 EST

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 08:03 pm, David Golden wrote:

> I am going to purchase an Airport Base Station in the next hand full of
> days, but I have one question. Are the differences between the Airport
> 1 and the Airport 2 very significant. I know that the newer model will
> service more units, but is there any difference in the functional
> quality? TIA.

Yes the difference between the two is significant in three ways:

1. The newer model has two Ethernet ports instead of one. This means
that you can use the base station as a router between a broadband
connection and a wired LAN as well as a wireless LAN.

2. The newer model supports 128-bit WEP. The older model supports only
40-bit WEP.

3. Many examples of the older model failed after 1-1.5 years of use,
due to the use of some inappropriately rated capacitors. In some cases,
Apple replaced the defective units, in many cases they refused to do
so. In case you pick up the old model for a good price, you should be
prepared for it to fail. It is not too hard to fix if it does fail.

cheers,

Simon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html