[NTLK] Proof Jobs is an idiot

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 14:58:48 EST

Wait while I check the tags on my clothing to make
sure that they're at least "Flame Retardant" =-0

OK, we all know $J position on PDAs. His biggest
argument is that there is no market for them and he
sees no use for them and the last thing the PDA
industry needs is another player to enter the PDA
arena.
Well, Dell's entry into the PocketPC is going to prove
that statement wrong.
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-20636982.html?tag=pdtl-list
Yes, I know that Dell is going with an established
platform, but still, it's a new player entering the
field using flawed platform that is still only 20%
capable. Jobs had a PDA that was 90% perfect and it
was already an established platform. If he spent 10%
of the time and money he spent poo-pooing the Newton
actually improving the Newton, it would be the market
leader. The Dell PocketPC is amazing for the price.
For $199 you get 300Mhz machine, 32MB RAM and 32MB
ROM...plus a 65k color screen.
I checked with my contacts in the industry yesterday
and I was told that Dell already has their entire
production run of 15,000 units sold and they have
enough orders to fill another 150,000 units.
Dell is going to shake up the PDA arena as far as
price point is concerned. Jobs just lost out again.
And we're the losers.
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous