Re: [NTLK] Generic AC adapter

From: John Acuff (jacuff1_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 14:56:53 EST

On Friday, November 8, 2002, at 01:41 AM, Johannes Wolf wrote:

> You can be really lucky that your Newt survived so far:
>
> 7.5V @ 700mA means (in case this is not a hitech REGULATED power
> adaptor)
> that the LOWEST voltage at 700mA max will be 7.5 V and if you load it
> with
> less than 700mA, the voltage will rise quickly.
> Since the maximum nominal input voltage of the Newt is 7.5V this is
> definitely a dangerous behaviour!
> I have measured up to 12V out of such adaptors if unloaded...
>
> Of course the Newt is very robust and may survive some overvoltage,
> but I
> can tell you: after I have ripped my first MP2100 totally by accidently
> applying 9V to it, I will never perform such experiments again!!!!
> The very first thing I do is to take my little voltmeter and check the
> output before I connect my Newt.

Maybe I have been lucky, but that's rarely the case for me!
FWIW, I put my Snap-On digital VOM across the plug of the adapter and
got just under 9 VDC with only the load of the meter. All I know is that
it seems to charge in a manner that I would expect. I haven't noticed
the battery getting hot while the adapter is attached (and charging) and
I'm using the Newt.
John

"Got Newt!"

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html