Re: [NTLK] Sync via TCP/IP?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 16:52:45 EST

On 08/11/02 16:38, "Varun Mehta" <varun_at_mehtasw.com> wrote:

> Here's the story...
> I have a 2100 but no dongle so I've been installing packages via IrDA,
> unfortunately I now feel the need to sync data/find another way to install
> pakages. DIL Tester is getting a little long in the tooth for me.
>
> I've noticed that NewtSync for OSX syncs via TCP/IP...but does that mean it
> doesn't use Appletalk? My router doesn't support Appletalk. Also my
> machine is not OS X capable. The newton has a WaveLAN silver card.
>
> Thanks, I know this is an odd question

Yes, you seem like in a catch-22 situation! No dongle, but can install with
IrDA. So, you could install the wireless driver and use that but then,
oups, your router doesn't support AppleTalk, so you can't use NCU with
AppleTalk set to AirPort on your Mac.

I don't know how you can resolve this. It seems like an unsolvable puzzle.
You will have to whether:

-get a dongle
-get a new router supporting AppleTalk
-a new computer supporting OS X

The first item in the list is obviously the cheapest solution. And no, you
can't use NewtSync on anything except OS X...

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been
badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or
misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS
2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice
of / as an option character in 1.0."