Re: [NTLK] Jaguar, Appletalk, Classic and crossover cable

From: Anton Balaban (anton_at_balaban.ru)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 16:15:54 EST

  Ken Taylor <k-taylor_at_charter.net> wrote:

> > Strange because this hasn't been my experience with Classic under
> Jaguar. I
> > just launch NCU, then go on my Newton with the Dock and hit connect.
> It
> > works all the time, both from my PowerBook G3 and my B&W G4.
> >
> > -Laurent.
>
> That's been my experience as well. I don't have any problems
> connecting my
> G4 to my newton via ethernet. I also never touched any of the control
> panels in Classic to turn AppleTalk on. It is my understanding that
> the
> classic environment uses the OS X network settings. I just turned
> AppleTalk
> on in OS X and everything works.
>
> I use NCU, OS X 10.2.1 and have connected via a router, a hub and a
> crossover cable.

Maybe it depends on hardware (Mac model), I don't know. Prior to iMac I
had a PM 5500 (MacOS 9.1) with ethernet card and it expressed the same
behavior - I could not select ethernet in Appletalk control panel
without my Newt being connected with a crossover cable and "Looking for
MacOS computers" (otherwise Mac says smth like "Can't activate ethernet
port"). And after reboot 5500 could not activate ethernet either, so I
had to reactivate it every time I wanted to use NCU. When I boot in
MacOS 9.2.2 on my iMac I can select "ethernet" for Appletalk without
anything connected to the ethernet port just fine.

--
Anton Balaban
http://www.newt.nm.ru