Re: [NTLK] IRComm2k, IrDA and DIL tester

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 08:17:30 EST

><snip>
>
>As you realized, NCU and DIL Tester don't do pure serial but MNP over
>serial and the Newton doesn't expect the IrDA stream to be MNP
>compressed (which isn't really a compression, rather parity bytes).
>But even if you could have an uncompressed stream, it wouldn't be
>enough. You need some handshake with the Newton.
>
>Sorry to say that, there is no way (with Apple's DILs) without
>writing your own communication layer to do IrDA on anything but MacOS.

But basically possible. I'll do a linux install later this week, and then
play with irdadump, and the linux irda drivers. I've got an ethernet card
coming, and it'll be all academic then, but still something to play
with. If there any documentation on the IrDA dock signals, I'd appreciate
it. I also can't extract the DIL tester source (stuffer shows an empty file).

Cheers,

Damien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html