Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple drive setup

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 10:29:23 EST

>hello list,
>i am pleased to have picked up a nice clean and custom-painted quadra 840av
>for a handsome price, and it will handle my newts well no doubt. however i
>am having trouble getting my 2gig seagate [st42340n i think] scsi disk set
>up. Apple Drive Setup will not see it. fine, i hacked ADS with resedit and
>now it shows an <not mounted> scsi device. when i execute the initialization
>procedure, it fails. maybe i am missing some hack here? Apple System
>Profiler sees the drive correctly, and Foreign File Access reads a dos
>partition. so it's all there, but... no formatting joy. any ideas? this is
>all under sys 7.5.3 rev 2. thanks and sorry about the [ot]
>
>>>scotty technoir
>
>ps: have a good SONUG meeting brothers and sisters, sorry to miss out yet
>again. Peter, you will get that beer/coffee i owe you!!!

Ok, first, what SCSI setting do you have on the drive? It must not be 0
or 7. Second, have you terminated the SCSI chain? The terminator is a
resistor that plugs into the second SCSI port on the drive, or is
internal to the drive itself and is switchable. Third, you should
upgrade to at least 7.5.5 (preferably to 7.6.1) as the OS you are running
is very unstable. I believe these are free upgrades.

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html