Re: [NTLK] WaveLan and EnRoute, a match made in heaven

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 16:46:07 EST

Ed,

At 11:09 PM -0800 11/9/02, Ed Kummel wrote:
>Yeah, but if you are on EarthLink, why would you want
>to use any other SMTP?

    Probably because Earthlink's SMTP server does so much intrusive
header checking of outgoing mail (to "reduce spam"), that you can't
even get a message through with a different domain name in the From
address anymore. Like maybe you want your main e-mail account to be
a .mac account, or your company account. And with their port
blocking, you can't use the .mac SMTP server to get around their
server's objections. But if you really want to know, ask the guy
who's post I was responding to. For my own case, we market software
that uses SMTP for outgoing mail, and I sure wasn't going to release
it without testing it on more than one SMTP server.

>Heck, I run my own mail server,
>but I don't do SMTP.

    I sure would like to know what this means. If your "mail server"
doesn't talk to any SMTP servers, I guess it's not too busy then.

>I use my DSL provider's SMTP
>server...no sense in using my resources if I'm paying
>for someone else's.

    I think I said that as well. But as I pointed out, Earthlink has
been adding more and more onerous restrictions to their SMTP server,
and they don't let you use another one.

>And besides, unless you can do
>reverse DNS for your SMTP server, it ain't going to do
>you much good to have your own SMTP server because
>most relays now adays will check your reverse DNS and
>if it doesn't exist, it won't relay your mail. (Yahoo
>is a good example) And why open up your machine to
>SMTP attacks anyway?

    Where did we switch from talking about using an alternate SMTP
server for outgoing mail to running your own SMTP server? You're
spinning off into space again.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer