Re: [NTLK] WaveLan and EnRoute, a match made in heaven

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 02:09:17 EST

Yeah, but if you are on EarthLink, why would you want
to use any other SMTP? Heck, I run my own mail server,
but I don't do SMTP. I use my DSL provider's SMTP
server...no sense in using my resources if I'm paying
for someone else's. And besides, unless you can do
reverse DNS for your SMTP server, it ain't going to do
you much good to have your own SMTP server because
most relays now adays will check your reverse DNS and
if it doesn't exist, it won't relay your mail. (Yahoo
is a good example) And why open up your machine to
SMTP attacks anyway?
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Lou Forlini <lforlini_at_sspi-software.com> wrote:

> At 2:06 PM +0100 11/9/02, Jon Glass wrote:
> >Unfortunately, no matter how hard you will try, you
> will never be able to
> >send email via any servers but Earthlink's.
> Earthlink somehow keeps you from
> >sending email from any servers but their own. You
> can use use other email
> >addresses, but you must use their servers--at least
> that was the situation
> >about 15 months ago when I was using Earthlink. I
> tried to send via other
> >servers (mac.com for instance) but I couldn't. I
> had to use the Earthlink
> >servers in order to send.
>
> Yep, they block all outgoing access on port 25
> (SMTP) except to
> their servers. The only way I could find to get
> around it was to use
> an SMTP server that was listening on a different
> port. Which is just
> one other reason I switched ISPs when I got DSL.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Lou Forlini

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous