Re: [NTLK] SMTP probs on the go

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 14:02:00 EST

I think that if you're getting a "no open relay" kind of error, it's more
likely that you're trying to talk to your ISP's SMTP server and it's
refusing because neither of these is true: a) you're dialed in directly, or
b) the mail is destined for a local user. You would get a "unable to
connect" if the cafe was blocking port 25 traffic.
Your ISP may support POP-before-SMTP in which case you could set your Newton
mail software to check your POP mail before attempting to send
(POP-before-SMTP is a hack for the lack of SMTP authentication capabilities
in many mail clients where it remembers what IP address you just came from
when you authenticated to your POP mailbox and allows you, for a brief time,
to relay SMTP)
Failing that, you would be able to use the cafe's local SMTP server, if
the've got one.
Good luck!
/Sam

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html