Re: [NTLK] Fixing ribbon cables

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 22:08:12 EST

I took a look at the eMate hinge repair PDF, and something occurred to
me...

If the only purpose of the spring is to put friction on the hinge, and
no one seems to *really* know for a fact what causes them to
[curl/snap/be manufactured poorly] wouldn't it be better just to take
the spring out entirely?

Anyone who has taken apart their eMate: How feasible would it be to
replace the spring with a less volatile friction-causing component like
a rubber gasket or a small section of surgical tubing or something like
that? These might break more easily than the spring, but at least you
don't have to worry about the monitor cable.

I'm planning on preemptively modifying my eMate's hinges this
Thanksgiving, so if someone has done this, please tell me if you were
successful, and if no one thought of this, I'll give it a try, and if it
works I'll share my results.

-Animal

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html