Re: [NTLK] DIY solar power?

From: Todd Krahenbuhl (tkrahenb_at_cps.gonzaga.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 15:06:47 EST

If you want to use solar panels to charge your Newton, you are going to need
a panel that outputs more than 9W. This will then go into a solar charge
regulator to step down the power and prevent power spikes, before connecting
to your Newton. You want a larger output panel, also as you do not always
get the "max". Sometimes more, but most often you will get less.

At my last job I designed and use solar power systems for powering
seismometers, computers, and radios for field projects. We use much larger
solar panels, and 4 to 6 deep cycle car batteries as a home-made UPS for our
systems. If you are interested go to:
http://users.colfax.com/crkrahen/todd/work/bowie2.html

MacOpinion did a review of solar panel systems for laptops as well a year
ago. It can be seen here.
http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/08/21/

Basically, you are going to need to buy a system and modify it, or start
from scratch.

Well, I have to run off to my IEEE meeting, but I will post more on this
later.

-Todd

--

% % Todd Krahenbuhl % http://users.colfax.com/crkrahen/todd/ % tkrahenb at cps dot gonzaga dot edu %