Re: [NTLK] DIY solar power?

From: Lui Frimmel (luifri_at_atnet.at)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:22:58 EST

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:06:47 -0600
Todd Krahenbuhl <tkrahenb_at_cps.gonzaga.edu> wrote:

> If you want to use solar panels to charge your Newton, you are going to
> need a panel that outputs more than 9W. This will then go into a solar
> charge regulator to step down the power and prevent power spikes, before
> connecting to your Newton. You want a larger output panel, also as you do
> not always get the "max". Sometimes more, but most often you will get
> less.

The panel I used mainly for the Newt is less than 200 gram including the protection case, 110x150 mm sized, and it kept 2 Newts 2100 up and working for more than 3 months while bicycling per recumbent through Europe. 2 Newts were used around 50 min/day for email, sending picts, reading/writing. This panel was made by KIS, but I also used homemades, and panels intended for the Powerbook 1xx series without any problems.
The KIS panel has no regulation, only a simple diode to avoid discharging.
You dont need "more than 9Watt" (this is what the charger for the Newt 2100 delivers, but of course you can charge with less power, like the chargers from the MP 120/130)

Lui

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html