[NTLK] Wavelan and Fallalon drivers --Caution

From: Rolf Brakvatne (rbrak29_at_qwest.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 15:19:21 EST

Awhile ago someone on the list described a situation in which selecting the
wrong device in the Internet slip can damage the Lucent Silver Wavelan card
to the point of being inoperable. I can further attest to that.

I have (had) a new Lucent Gold card in the Newt and accidentally selected
the wrong device (Farallon card). I quickly realized this after the driver
had addressed the card. I switched it back to the Lucent, the card still
worked in the Newt...BUT.

When I put the card into my Powerbook running OS 9 a few days later,
something strange happened. The power light instead of being on all the
time, flashed wildly. The card still worked, but when a large amount of data
packets was sent to the card, the power light stopped flashing and was on
steady, but the transfer light flashed wildly. even after the transfer
stopped. Any packets sent to the card after that failed. The card was dead
to any transfers, even though the signal strength was fine.

I tried the card in X (using the beta 10.2 drivers) and the power light came
on normally (did not flash wildly), but the card failed to transmit or
receive, again even though the signal strength registered OK.

I had the card tested by a friend the has the same Powerbook and a different
WAP and he could not get the card to work either.

Before this incident with the Newt, running the card in OS 9 or X was
flawless.

Now it maybe a coincidence, but a word to the wise is sufficient.... REMOVE
OR FREEZE ANY OTHER NETWORK DEVICE DRIVERS BEFORE USING LUCENT WAVELAN
CARDS.

Rolf Brakvatne

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html