Re: [NTLK] html2newt; bookmaker woes

From: Dakkar (ceccarel_at_cibslogin.sns.it)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 06:22:51 EST

On 20021114213741, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
> I want to write convertor from HTML to newton books. This will:
[snip]
> Is anyone interested? Maybe someone'd like to help?
Hey! I'm lazily trying to do the same! ;-)

> 1. I can't make it produce a large-size book (for the 2100 screen).
> Can someone help?
There was a way to patch the executable to set other layout sizes.
Don't do it. The best way (IMO) is to convert straight into
NewtonScript, then compile with the NTK.

> - what are the "btn" args of message
> :SetStatusButtons({left: [btn1, btn2], right:[btn]})
views? Buttons? as in, frames whose _proto points to the built-in
button frame...

> - how do I start a new column/row in a table?
Is it possible to create tables in newtonbooks? The bookmaker docs
don't mention anything of the sort.

> - can one force bookmaker to not produce the useless border around the
> book window, so the full screen can be used?
Don't think so: it is the bookreader's window border. If the book
layout is as large as the screen, the Newton will complain, saying
that the book is larger than the screen (since it has to put a border
around it)

> 3. I'm not overly keen on bookmaker: the RTF + "dot command language"
> mix is esoteric and not terribly appealing. So I might just rewrite
> its functioanlity (the layout engine) in Perl.
I did some of the layout engine, as a proof-of-concept. It uses a
couple of very ugly hacks (mac fonts converted to X11 fonts, then
parsed to get boundaries...)

> 4. Is there any documentation on the interfaces of the builtin
> bookreader?
Don't really think so. People were supposed to use NewtonPress or BookMaker.

However, I think the limitations are due to bookreader (personal
idea!)

--

Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>

If I have to lay an egg for my country, I'll do it. -- Bob Hope