Re: [NTLK] Why did the Newton fail?

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 13:47:15 EST

> Thanks for your reply Brian-if that's your real name! :) J/K. I
> wasn't into to PCs really, well, I guess I should say MAC when the
> Newton came out, so really I'm not familiar with it's initial
> promises...

The handwriting recognition technology of the original MessagePad was
the big attraction; it was a completely new technology to the general
public, and the focus of most of the attention in the press. When that
feature turned out to not really be as useful as promised on a
day-to-day basis, the product's reputation suffered, and it never
really recovered. (The technology would improve by leaps and bounds,
but nobody was paying attention by that point.)

I think it's a telling example that Microsoft uses some of the same
technology on the PocketPC platform, but buries it on an installation
CD and keeps it quiet. The poor reputation of the Newton's HR, deserved
or not, is *that* persistent.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html