Re: [NTLK] NTLK] Continuing Frustration w/MP2000

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 07:20:11 EST

>From: Andrew Shlapak <divise_at_earthlink.net>

[...]
>Newton. I struggled with the first iteration and purchased the 2000
>with 16 MB memory card and a modem card. The difficulties began with
[...]
> "Newton doesn't have enough free
> memory right now to do what you
> asked. Restarting Newton may fix
> the problem."

The 2000 has less system heap available than even the MP130. The system
heap is a bank of memory that among other things, is used by packages that
are active (not even running, just sitting around, installed packages suck
up this heap). The more packages installed that are not frozen, the less
heap that you have. The less heap you have, the less RAM is available for
other system tasks. Like running other packages, making notes, etc. Low
heap is not a good situation to be in, but happens a lot with a 2000.

Especially on a 2000 it's very important to keep this heap value as large
as possible. Since it barely has enough to survive in the best of
situations, especially if you're trying to do networking.

The first thing to do that will help is to get Avi's Backdrop- using this
as a backdrop (if you aren't already) will replace Notes or whatever you're
using with a backdrop that's designed to use very little heap and add much
functionality. One thing that this backdrop also does, is display the
amount of system heap available so you can see how you are doing.

The other thing to do is to get one of the "freeze" applications.
Freezeman, OptionEnabler (from SBM), a coupel others exist, free and
shareware available. Freeze the applications/extensions that you aren't
using.

There are also a couple of packages that help reduce the amount of heap a
package sucks up just by "sitting"- HeapMan (shareware) and HeapMagic
(freeware, from a japanese site IIRC). Highly recommended.

I would guess that you have more than a few things installed on your 16 meg
card; to get your Newton to run, try removing the card. If your newton
boots, go ahead and boot, when you remove the card with the Newt powered
on, it may tell you it needs the card back- put it back in, wait, don't
rush it, it should tell you it's safe to remove after a bit. Delete or
freeze an easily replaced package (or 3) on the internal store, and when
you put the card back in there should be enough heap to run Extras so you
can delete/freeze stuff you aren't using.

There used to be one person who had a supply of the special RAM used to
upgrade a 2000 to a 2100 (the 2100 has a lot more heap RAM) and for a
decent fee wuld do the upgrade for you, but IIRC he's not been active on
the list lately so that might not be an option. Google for "Doctor Newton"
but a check just now pulled up a handful of dead links; I'm not sure he's
still active.

You can get a cheap 2100 (missing door etc) from www.jksalesinc.com and
swap motherboards; or just get a 2100 and move the doors etc from your 2000
to the 2100; this site has a few options on how complete a setup you buy.
About the cheapest source without hassling with ebay. In all honesty, I
think that the 2100 is where you wish to be, if you want to have smooth
networking/email etc.

I've not used a 2000 myself but I had to be careful with heap on a 130 when
I was using email etc (although the 130 could certainly do email and light
browsing), and the 2000 has less heap than the 130 so you'd have to be even
more careful. 2100 highly recommended for your use, sorry...

I believe the FAQ has more info about heap and coping with low heap, you
can see the FAQ at www.unna.org from the main page. But this is about the
gist of it :)

HTH

-Brian