Re: [NTLK] Speed potential of 2X00 and eMate

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 16:45:17 EST

Well, According to Stephanie's site:
http://www.felesmagus.com/newton/ematefast.html
the emate, in it's native state, runs at 20Mhz and
when she acellerated it, it runs at 27.1Mhz. The 2xxx
runs nativly at 162Mhz, and acellerated it runs at
219Mhz. Through experimentation, it was determined
that a 5Mhz crystal is basically the fastest that the
Newt's can safely handle. Any faster and it was found
that "most" Newts locked up. Sometimes some Newts
could handle faster acelleration, but at the risk of
loss of data...in my opinion, not really worth it...

And what makes this all the more frustrating is the
seeming lack of 5Mhz crystals. We've also experimented
and found that crystal size (within bounds of reason)
makes no difference with the Newt.
On my site:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/
I have a little blurb I found in identifying the
different types of crystals and how they work.

Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Samuel Jacobson <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently acquired an accelerated MessagePad 2100
> and had a question. I
> am just beginning to dabble in electronics and was
> wondering if the 5 MHz
> crystal placed into an accelerated MessagePad 2X00
> or an eMate is the
> fastest type of crystal that can be implemented? I
> am aware of the
> inability to use some of the aspects of the 2100
> while accelerated, yet is
> there a limit to the crystal type that can be used
> (size perhaps more than
> composition or abilities)? While I feel 220 MHz is
> plenty for the
> MessagePad, my main thought is for the eMate as I
> find it to be intolerably
> slow.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Always,
>
> Sam J.

=====
"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."
 - Mr. Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.