Re: [NTLK] On the edge of ethernet

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 00:19:29 EST

on 25/11/02 23:34, David Busey at im-wired_at_attbi.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> True to form with my e-mail address (im wired) I'm looking to get my newt
> ethernetted to the world. Thus, I've begun attempting to connect to my LAN.
>
> First to send a test print to my HP Laserjet 5MP (connected to my LAN via a
> Farallon Etherwave adapter) then I'll try graduating to getting on the net
> (AT&T Broadband) and pull e-mail or something.
>
> Having some trouble getting connected though. I've read various ethernet
> 'how to' articles I found references to while browsing the archives.

[snip!]

> THE PROBLEM:
> Trouble is, even with both of those drivers installed, my specific card does
> not show up in the pop-up (lackin both in Prefs --> Appletalk *and* in
> the Internet Setup application).
>
> Here's the ones that are listed (most of which I've tested without success).
> 3Com 3C589 PC Card
> 3Com 3C589D PC Card
> Farallon Enet PC Card
> Megahertz 589D
> Megahertz 589DT
>
> WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I ATTEMPT:
> As a connectivity test, I've been trying to print.
> In Print Setup I've selected "HP LaserJet"
> It goes through the motions ("Connecting to..." followed shortly by
> "Printing Page 1" but alas, nothing comes out the other end.
>
> OTHER CLUES?
> I realize the fundamental problem is likely to be that I haven't gotten the
> "Right" driver loaded but here's some other "symptoms" anyway...
>
> 1. In print setup if I tap "Choose Network Laserwriter" just fer' grins, I
> get an error dialogue from the Chooser...
> " i Chooser
> There is a problem opening the
> chooser. (-61001)"
>

> 2. Also, the green light on the PC card's dongle is only green for about 20
> secnds after I insert the card. After that, it goes dark again.
> Megahertz 589E

Well, in order to print to an Ethernet-based printer, your only choice is
"LaserWriter". Picking "HP LaserJet", the Newton is assuming a locally
connected printer, through the PrintPack. You have to choose "Choose
LaserWriter..." and then, if your card is supported, you should see the
printer's name in the Chooser that will appear.

However, you mention that you can't select AppleTalk when you insert the
card. I don't have this specific card, but usually when you insert an
Ethernet card that is compatible with the Newton, a little dialog will
appear and you'll have the ability to enable a checkbox that says "Use this
card for AppleTalk", or something like this. If that dialog doesn't show up
when you insert the card in your Newton, it is likely that you're missing a
package, or your card isn't supported.

-Laurent.

Fortrash /for'trash/ n.: Hackerism for the FORTRAN (FORmula TRANslator) language, referring to its primitive design, gross and irregular syntax, limited control constructs, and slippery, exception-filled semantics.