Re: [NTLK] Original Message Pad - can I connect to the internet?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 00:23:31 EST

on 26/11/02 00:02, Henry Stukenborg at hjstukenborg_at_mac.com wrote:

> I just got an Original Message Pad w/fax modem (I'm saving up for a 2100 ;-)
> ), and I wanted to know if there was a way to connect to the internet to get
> mail, etc. In the Mail prefs I only see a setup for SprintNet. Is there an
> add-on package or trick to get general PPP connectivity?

No, you can't, sorry. The only you could possibly access your email would be
through the use of a terminal emulation program to connect to a "shell"
account provided by your Internet Service Provider. Back in the old days of
the internet, many providers were giving that type of access, but these
days, there aren't many that still provide this.

Your best bet would be to find a cheap upgraded 2000 on eBay or from one of
the resellers that still have Newtons. Some people have been able to get
upgraded 2000 for a mere $65. If you really want to read your email on your
Newton, that's basically the only way to go.

Sorry...

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power. Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO, Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2. [IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.