Re: [NTLK] Voice of reason (was: A little fun)

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 12:21:42 EST

>>> I was just thinking (yes, it's scary). It occurred to me that a
>>> great way to let Apple know that we still care about the Newt would
>>> be to send in all the registration cards that originally came with
>>> the units.
>>
>> But do you still have your registration card? Is it an idea to post one
on
>> the web or did it have a serial number on it?
>
>I'd be in on that... for the many of us no doubt who have gotten our
Newtons
>secondhand and thus without registration cards, it would be good if someone
>could scan their card and make it available somewhere. Then we can all
>mailbomb Steve ;-)

I'm sitting here wondering how SJ would take to the idea of 2,000 or 2,100
Newton registration cards being sent in the mail at Apple's expense to make
the point that we're out here and we will not be ignored. I wonder if he
knows about us. I wonder if he cares. I really don't have a clue.

However, I think a knee-jerk reaction of everyone hopping on the bandwagon
and sending in registration cards while not stopping to think about how it
may be received--although it certainly seems like a harmless prank and would
not necessarily do any harm at first blush, might be heading in the wrong
direction to help us get into SJ's good graces (okay--fantasy maybe), or at
least to increase our visibility. These image things have to be constructed,
guided, manufactured. We're discussing establishing a relationship.

If I start with the vision of Apple respecting NTLK's community, I don't see
how we can get from sending in registration cards en masse and blowing that
load, to a situation where Apple has us on their radar screen in a favorable
light. I'm suggesting that sending in massive numbers of Newton registration
cards, although cute, might have the reverse effect you're desiring. Proceed
with caution, or at least make sure you've thought things through. You can't
take back any "oh crap"s once you've done it.

The idea does appeal to me. Perhaps the way to approach this is to let the
registration cards trickle in a little at a time. Heck, that can continue to
happen for years if we pace ourselves at one per week. Don't you think that
that would have a more beneficial effect than slamming Apple with as many
registration cards as we can find all at once?

The point is, what point are you trying to make to SJ and Apple? You also
have to consider what points you're making that you're *+not+ aware that
you're making* in the process. Those hidden points are not always easy to
ascertain--especially to me, and because of that I'm surprising myself that
I'm even able to state my case so clearly. :-+

Let's try to come to a consensus before we all jump on the boat and sink
ourselves in the process, or possibly pull the cork from the bottom of the
green boat we're all sailing.

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html