Re: [NTLK] Voice of reason

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 09:30:17 EST

on 11/27/02 12:29 PM, good-dog_at_northshore.net at good-dog_at_northshore.net
wrote:

> Creating harmony, not discord and animosity, will increase the chances
> of something good coming out of this action.

That's funny, because I don't view the returned registration cards as a "pie
in the face." It's more of a "We love what you did, and want something as
good or better!" sort of thing.

Of course, this whole thing can only work if 1. All these cards are genuine
registration cards, and 2. They are from genuine owners of Newtons and 3.
These owners have bought their Newtons since Apple killed the Newton. And
lastly 4. If there are more than 1500 of these things returned. The number
would have to be in five digits at the least. Why? Because it would take
numbers greater than those the iPod gets to make an impact. This is, of
course, presuming that Apple has no serious plans on developing something. I
still think that something is in the works, just now what we are thinking...
:-) So, in order for this to truly work, we would need to make this thing
widely known, with the details and all, which brings me to my next point...

Another thing, I really don't think that the Powers-that-be at Apple are
ignorant of NTLK. I really think that we would have a hard time springing
something on SJ without his prior knowledge. This means that Apple would
probably do something preemptive to either lessen the impact, or to eclipse
it entirely. I don't have enough imagination to guess what, but I do wonder
if we could pull this off. :-) But, no, I don't think it will be perceived
as a pie or a slap in the face. It _might_ be perceived as a bunch of raving
lunatics, or rabid fans, but beyond that... OK, it would be fun. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland