Re: [NTLK] Frozen Newton Project

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 08:40:16 EST

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 08:22:14AM -0500, Mark Ross wrote:

> >I think this would make the coolest stylus (no pun intended, but literally
> >true too), no batteries needed, lasts for years. Can't ship out of the U.K.
> > unfortunately.
> >
> >http://www.traser-uk.com/index3.htm and click on "Glowrings".
> >
> >jc
> >

> >That'd be wicked. Imagine if it matched the green of the Newt's backlight.
>
> One has to wonder about this product. What is the energy source?
> Something that glows for 10 years can't be charged once and produce that
> much light for that long. I have to believe this uses a radioactive
> source and that's why it can't be exported. Notice how cryptic the
> explanations get when they write about the "special gas" and yet are very
> specific about everything else.

Tritium. Halflife of 12.5 years, emits weak beta radiation (which, btw.
can be completely shielded by a sheet of paper - or a few centimeters of
air). The beta radiation of the tritium excites the phosphor coating on
the inner side of the glas which then emits some light. This principle
is also used in watches, gun sights ...

The US has some ... interesting laws with regard to civilian use of the
stuff. You won't get a license to use it for toys (which the glowrings
are classified as). So to import the glowring into the US, you'd have to
use it for "serious things", for instance a gunsight, then it would be ok.

Regards,
       Alex.

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison