Re: [NTLK] Voice of reason

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 15:46:23 EST

I don't feel that this proposal to send in registration cards has much merit
frankly - I believe our presence here, the meetings we have around the world
and the attention that we still generate as users is the most honest way to
demonstrate our continuing enthusiasm.

From the point of view of our hopes for a new PDA I think that Apple will
never again produce a device that can in any way challenge laptop sales,
therefore it cannot have the breadth of functionality or potential that the
Newton has.

Making the current OS as PDA friendly as possible seems more logical and a
tablet based on OS X seems a likely proposition but it will have to be a
basically laptop to run this OS (perhaps without a keyboard) and cost about
the same as a laptop so will also not be a Newton (but would be interesting
in itself).

A tablet is likely to be marketed as a higher value/higher tech laptop than
anything remotely resembling a PDA. Sure it will have all the
battery/size/weight limitations of a laptop but it will be a nice way to
work for many users, especially if Apple can improve the interface to match
the needs of a pen-based device.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html