Re: [NTLK] ANN: SER-001

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 02:22:12 EST

Ok, the connection to mobile phones is a very special issue, because most of
the phones do not provide standardised levels on their serial interface.
Sometimes a special adaptor is needed to pump up the levels, which is fed
from the PC interface, assuming that this is providing the full levels.

If I understood right, as soon as the SER-001 is installed you cannot
receive data from your mobile anymore? But without SER-001 and with Dongle
you can?

The one and only Explanation I have is that the signal level provided from
the phone is not sufficient. I do not know how Mr. PCB man solved the
problem, but the driver outputs of both interface drivers (from the built in
and the SER-001) towards the Newts internal serial port must be switched in
parallel.
Maybe the combination of both, low signal levels ad switching both line
drivers in parallel might cause the problem in your case.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html