Re: [NTLK] Unsubscribing

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 22:14:52 EST

> On Friday, November 29, 2002 4:31 PM,
> Chris Lepine <c.lepine_at_shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>1. The Newton is not very reliable if the amount of problems listed in
> here (and elsewhere) is used as a sample group. I've never seen a
> machine with so many hardware related failures. Nobody should have to
> "buy two" in case one fails. While I understand it is relatively
> archaic as far as hardware is concerned, even my old console systems
> from the early 80's still operate flawlessly.

Dear Chris,

Not to beat a dead horse, nor to justify my membership in this list, but as
the owner of several palm devices (IIIxe, IIIc, Vx, 515), an hp Jornada, a
compaq AERO and a few other "palm-like" devices I still find the Newton 2100
to be the most farsighted device of its kind. Considering the fact their
official support ended 5 years ago, it still amazes me how this list and
community continue to grow and thrive. Software and hardware upgrades (such
as nsync, wireless connectivity, SER-001) actually happen here. Yes, the
number of members and daily posts continue to grow, but isn't that a good
sign of a viable community. I've been a member here for almost two years now
and remember when the number of daily posts could be counted on one or two
hands. Following the posts I learn daily of new functions and uses of my own
little green friend. I loved the "ten best" lists including download links.
Also ways to continue to use the newton with new hardware and software (ie.
OS X). I couldn't afford the newton when it first arrived on the market, and
paid significantly more for my first newton than you can pick one up for
now. I bought my second newton as a back-up assuming that someday my
original newton would eventually fail (like so many of my palms). To date my
original newton has continued to operate "flawlessly." The new $500+ palms
and ipaqs still do not provide the same functionality of the newton. Yes a
few of the posts become personality battles, and not like I don't have
plenty to do with my time, but overall I look forward to downloading my
daily dose of newton communications. The Newton, like the macintosh, is not
for everyone but once you fill your first 16 mb linear flash card with
programs, games and references (available at UNNA), I find it hard to
believe you could go back to a palm-like device. And how many times do I
find my palm battery has run out and everything on my palm gone. In my line
of work, newton programs like Virtual intern are still more advanced than
anything I've found for either palm OS or pocket PC formats. I'm sorry you
find this list and the newton so offensive as to elicit such vitriol, but
wish you well and will look for your Newton on ebay.

Sincerely, Chet Johns, MD

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html