[NTLK] Overclocking the MP2x00

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 00:59:37 EST

Just a quick technical question that someone who knows the architecture
of the Newton better than I may be able to answer.

I have read several articles on web sites about home-brew overclocking
of the SA110 in an MP2x00. In all cases so far it looks like the answer
is simply to wire in a new, slightly faster clock crystal in parallel
to on of the original speed, and have a switch to slect between them.
This may have the advantage of simplicity, but as noted has the down
side that the rest of the system is sped up, which messes with the
serial port, IR port and sound system etc.

Why do none of these mods simply change the SA110's internal clock
frequency multiplier? Without changing crystals it should be possible
to overclock up to 287MHz and not have any trouble with the rest of the
system. Of course not all SA110s would be stable at that speed.

Perhaps it is too difficult to get to the four appropriate pins on the
chip?

Just curious.

Julian.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html