Re: [NTLK] D-Link DWL-650 doesn't work%26In-Reply-To=%26lt;B9

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 16:36:42 EDT

On 03/10/02 14:35, "BarryLundy_at_aol.com" <BarryLundy_at_aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 10/3/02 11:21:05 AM, gtidave_at_golden.net writes:
>
> << I also get this msg on occasion. The only solution I've found is to press
> the reset button. No data will be lost, but you should be back in buisuess
> without having to change any of your settings.
>
> HTH
> Dave >>
>
> You know... I tried pressing the 'reset' button on the back. This is a
> 'soft' reset, correct? I've done this and still get the message. Argh!
>
> I might just be up to doing a hard reset, but I've never done one, never had
> to. "IF" I do a hard reset though... when reconnecting with my desktop Mac -
> will I still be able to do it through ethernet? I'm assuming not, so will I
> have to connect via serial?

When you do a hard reset, the internal memory of your Newton is completely
erased, so, if you didn't move the required packages to an external card,
then you would have to connect through serial, at least to re-install those
NIE packages. So, if you decide the hard reset, make sure that you move all
NIE-related packages to an external card. So, you'll just have to pop the
card in after the reset and bring back those packages.

Be aware that everything in the system soup will be erased, all your
preferences, registration numbers and such will be gone.

However, there have been a few users that did report much better and
reliable performance out of their Newton after doing a hard reset. The
reason is that everytime you install a package, even for only testing it, it
will leave some "gunk" in the system soup. The larger the system soup grows,
the greater the risk of becoming corrupted. I myself do a hard reset my 2100
about every 6 months, just to keep the system soup clean.

And yes, pressing the reset button on the back just does a "soft" reset,
nothing gets erased.

-Laurent.

BUAG // n.: [abbreviation, from alt.fan.warlord] Big Ugly ASCII Graphic.
Pejorative term for ugly ASCII art, especially as found in sig blocks. For
some reason, mutations of the head of Bart Simpson are particularly common
in the least imaginative sig blocks. See warlording.