Re: [NTLK] cogeco, rogers, shaw dhcp connections?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 08:07:16 EDT

Peter Cameron wrote:
> I don't know about cable, but I've had no problems with the Newton and Bell
> High Speed Edition. From what I understand some of the cable systems are
> keyed to the ethernet address of the subscriber's Mac so you can't get
> other computers to work. I know people in my area had that problem with
> Rogers but not with the local cable company.

Peter's right. On Rogers(spit) here in Guelph, not only is my cable modem
tied to a certain Ethernet card, but I still have to make a DHCP request with
my old cr-xxxxxx-a hostname, which was supposed to go away with @Home. The
Newton's DHCP client doesn't support sending this information through DHCP, so
there's no way I can connect my Newton directly to the cable modem. A much
better bet is to use a cable gateway to share your connection, or use some
software gateway software for PC/Mac and a hub.