[NTLK] [OT] Laserwriter II NT gripper problem - thanks!

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 11:26:25 EDT

Thanks to all who have responded so far with suggestions on how to get my
LWIINT going again.

I always knew I needed to "get a grip" but never have so many lined up to
tell me ;-)

At any rate, thanks to Grant for the tip on putting [OT] in the subject
line - I have to admit I haven't read the Newtontalk list etiquette page :-(

Here's a summary of useful tips on getting a Laserwriter gripping again:

1. replace the roller (tricky - you need a service manual, or how-to video
to do this)

2. Brake Fluid - soak the gripper roller and leave overnight (from Mark, and
others)

3. Emery Paper & fan belt gripper - use the Emery paper to take the built-up
glaze off the roller, then soak in fan belt gripper (from Ed)

I can also recommend www.fixyourownprinter.com mentioned in the LW Pro
thread. I've ordered a kit from them, which comes with a "how-to" video.

Anyway, thanks to all and sundry who replied. I should have my printer
nursed back to health in no time!

regards,
blair